Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Book Week Costumes - Raggedy Ann and Willy Wonka


Once again my blog has been neglected! Computer sagas continue and life has gotten in the way. I've been sick, and on school camp, but I'll try to catch up in the next couple of days. Making stuff has been a little slow!

We've had book week in my part of the world, and most schools have a dress up day to celebrate books. The kids decided to go as Raggedy Ann and Willy Wonka. Raggedy Ann is a bit of a tradition in my family, and my mum used to make lots of Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls for people. I still have mine.

This is my brother and I dressed up many years ago. :)


My original Raggedy Ann doll.

I decided to make a costume for Juliet out of one of Nan's skirts.

I didn't have a pattern but wanted to do a smock style. Unfortunately I couldn't work it all out in my head, so I had to unpick, re cut and start again.


Here's how it ended up.
We dyed her hair red.


And put it in rags for the night.


Liam wore this circus ringmaster costume I had for a tap dancing concert a couple of years ago. So we just modified it a little and made some gold tickets.

So the only think I had to buy were the red socks and gold cardboard.


Here they both are. Cuties!


I love book week!

By Sharon Newth

4 comments:

  1. You did really well Sharon! We had so many parents coming into the op shop at the last minute needing costumes. maybe next yr I'll send them your direction ;P i wasnt much help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlene! There is a mad last minute scramble for costumes isn't there. My friend went to spotlight the night before and wondered why nothing was there. :0
      I might be the rare parent that loves it!

      Delete
  2. WOW!!! Fantastic job, Sharon! The kids are just as cute as they can be. I also loved the photo of you and your brother as Raggedy Anne and Andy.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce. Good fun. Thanks for persisting with my erratic blogging. How are you?

      Delete