Monday, July 1, 2013

Top 5 toilet roll crafts.


Those of you who know me will know how I like to recycle and reuse. So much so that every toilet roll, cereal box and milk bottle cap are stashed away until a critical point is reached where our pantry is overflowing. When you have a family of 6 like I do this can happen fairly quickly. :) Often though, we do make use of this 'trash' and toilet paper rolls have been an awesome resource in our house, so today I thought I would share some uses. These are my top 5 toilet paper crafts, for kids and adults alike.

1. Toilet Roll Bird Feeder. 


This is one of my favourites, a toilet roll bird feeder. Here is one we made last year. We've made many more since, and the birds near our house love them. You can find a tutorial here http://tpcraft.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/toilet-paper-roll-bird-feeder.html. Honestly I'm terrible at following instructions so I tend to just look at the picture and make up my own way, which can end in failure sometimes. Perhaps you are better at this than me.




2. Toilet Roll Owls.


Look at these adorable little creatures? It's hard not to fall in love with them. I made this one with my 3 yo last year here. There is also a tutorial on YouTube here.


3. Toilet Roll Wall Art.





Amazing. This is found over at http://noisypitta.blogspot.com.au/. Isn't she talented? Wow!! You might need to save up a few more rolls for this one, or you could ask your friends to donate some.


4. Toilet roll binoculars. 


An essential holiday project for anyone who enjoys a bear hunt. All you need is the toilet rolls, some string or wool and some cardboard.

.

We made ours last year over here.

5. Toilet roll racing cars.


I have not made any  of these yet, but I'll definitely be making some soon. A wonderful tutorial with beautiful pictures can be found over on this blog http://kiflieslevendula.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/kisautok.html



So there are no excuses now, stop throwing out those toilet rolls and start using them to make the world a more beautiful face. This will make you and those around you smile more, and who knows, you may even inspire someone else to make something beautiful too. Happy crafting.


by Sharon Newth

6 comments:

  1. Cute crafts from such lowly beginnings! Who knew? I remember the binoculars for hunting bears, lol. The little owl is just as cute as she can be. Leave off the big eyes and the beak, add a pipe cleaner halo, and you've got an angel for Christmas. Of course I love the bird feeders, and I think those race cars are adorable, but my favorite? You know it!! That wall hanging, sigh. Beautiful! Have you made one yet? I started one several years ago and gave up on it...shame on me.

    Back to the index card conversation....

    I think the Zentangles are more therapeutic than the index cards, because tangling uses a lot of repetition. Making the index cards requires more thought and creativity, I think. Both of them take me away from reality in general, tho, and that's a good thing, lol.

    You don't seem to have a short attention span...after all, you do finish your projects. I think you're more adventurous and imaginative than I am, as well as willing to put more effort into the projects you make. Think about it, how much real effort goes into what I do, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't made one of those hangings. One day. A friend made a Christmas wreath last year that was awesome too. Sounds like you have a great mix of creativity, relaxation and artistic talent. You are always so kind Joyce. Craft output might be a bit low for the next couple of weeks as we are on school holidays again. We have been very busy so far in Melbourne and a day trip today. Hope I get to see some of your stuff one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of the bird seed rolls, will try it, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the school holidays!!! See ya when you have time to craft again. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Have been making, instead of sleeping. Lol. Just have to blog it now.

      Delete
  5. Oh I will so have to make cars with my Little Monkey! She will love them!!! Thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete